Old Sweetwater

Old Sweetwater

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

My Mixer























When I was about ten, I walked into my aunt's stucco and brick craftsman bungalow on Euclid Street.
In her 1960's half apron, she was in the kitchen talking up a storm to my mom and other women visiting that day sitting at the kitchen table.
LaRue (I know!) put some ingredients in the bowl of a large mixer standing by itself on her counter.
She walked away to attend something else while the mixer blended her ingredients in a gleaming stainless bowl.
Amazing!
I was awe-struck and never stopped talking about it.
Almost five years ago my honey said he'd been thinking of what to buy me for Valentines Day.
I don't like red roses & chocolate. (Don't hate me)
We'd worn the fancy dinner thing out....
He wanted to get something (that in my heart) I wanted for a long time, but couldn't justify since I don't consider myself "a cook."
He surprised me by driving to Williams & Sonoma and saying, "You've talked about the KitchenAid mixer for years. Pick out the one that will make your heart happy."
I chose this one.
It the biggest one & it's heavy, but I still smile every time I look at it...and occasionally use it. lol.
Anyone else have a KitchenAid moment?

9 comments:

Sara said...

Wow, that is a gorgeous piece of machinery, and a lovely story to go along with it as well :)

sadie said...

:o) that's a lovely story! Yes, I have a KitchenAid moment. While I was pregant (we knew we were having a girl), my husband bought me a pink KitchenAid mixer. I have always wanted one, but even more so when I saw it in pink. Having a girl gave me the perfect excuse - I needed to teach her to cook, so I needed something pretty to help her enjoy being in the kitchen! I love it. It makes me smile, and it's brilliant too. That and my Smeg fridge are my most treasured kitchen appliances. Yes, I am the kind of person who gets excited about kitchen appliances!!

;o)

Sadie

Becky Garrison said...

From the time my hubby and I were engaged, I made sure he understood the deal about appliances . . . you don't buy them as gifts for birthdays, Christmas, anniversaries or yes, Valentines day. And he took it to heart! But years later I started telling him I wanted a KitchenAid mixer for Christmas. He remembered what I'd been telling him all those years, and never got one. It took about 4-5 years, but I finally convinced him, and I love my mixer! Hubby is kind of special, too! Becky

julie - eab designs said...

My mom and dad gave me my Kitchen Aid mixer right after I got married. Back then they didn't come in all of the neat colors like today, but I wouldn't trade my in for the world. I use it all the time and it's always reminds me of how excited they were to give it to me.

Loni Smith said...

I was raised by my grandmother and she had many kitchen items that I would love to have today. I would climb up on a chair and watched her make all sorts of goodies with her Kitchen Aid.

Donna said...

I had been wanting one for a while but was always too practical and couldn't justify the cost. I had a 30% off coupon and they were on sale. Hubby told me to look at them while I was out shopping. I walked by to "look at them" so I could say I was obedient. Then I froze in my tracks. There sat a red one that was another $60 dollars off. I asked the salesperson why it was reduced. She said that red was not popular. I calculated it with my coupon and quickly justified the purchase. Red had just become a favorite color. Now my children are each asking that I leave it to them in my will.

kimsound studios said...

Question, are the mixers hard to use?

Janean said...

Kim, they are so easy, just heavy so put them where you won't have to move them. Mine also will make pastas and ground meat with two attachments. Yay!

Lemonade Makin' Mama said...

I wanted one for years, but could never afford one. It hardly seemed fair that I love to cook and bake, and didn't have one, when most of my girlfriends do not enjoy cooking or baking and had one sitting, unused on their counters- so I participated in a neighborhood garage sale, and one of my neighbors had decided to sell it. I had to leave my own sale around noon and left my husband in charge until I could return. When I came back, the first thing I looked for was that kitchen aid across the street. It was gone, and it nearly broke my heart. Then I went inside, resigned that I'd missed out on such a great deal, and it was sitting on my counter. My hubby had snagged it when I left, and I hadn't said a WORD to him. It was such a fun moment.

(I love your blog, and I am now a follower!!)

Blessings,
Sasha