As more people gradually moved from working the land to living in towns and learned to read and write, the word harvest lost its reference to the time of year.
No matter what you call it, it's beautiful in my opinion.
Okay, a little off the subject, but does anyone else watch "Man Versus Food?" He makes me SOOOOO hungry!
Here's a simple, fast, tasty Autumn sandwich recipe.
Roast Beef Sandwich with Horseradish
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons prepared white horseradish (mix together)
- Garlic to taste if the roast beef does not have garlic
- 1 12-inch section French-bread baguette, halved lengthwise
- 8 ounces thinly sliced roast beef
- 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 large bunch arugula or spinach leaves
- Onion - Vidalia is best - cut in rings. Tip: if you're going to heat the sandwich, go ahead and saute the onion so it will be caramelized.
- Optional favorite cheese, such as Monterey Jack, Swiss, Muenster...and heat until melted on sandwich.
Whisk mayonnaise & horseradish (and opt. garlic) together in small bowl.
Construct sandwich with roast beef, optional cheese, onions and greens. Season with sea salt and pepper to taste. Heat until cheese melts (in microwave, oven or in a skillet). Add tomato and mayo blend. Cut into 4 pieces and serve.