Quite by accident, we discovered Brie cheese. It's a soft cows' cheese named after the French province, Brie. We don't eat the "crust" as some do, but the inside....ooooo la-la!
It's great to eat with apples which are in abundance now. Below is a recipe for a snack that is heavenly. Oh, you can buy Brie nearly anywhere. We found two good brands at Sam's Club. Yes, Sam's. Any other Brie enthusiasts?
Preheat oven to 378 degrees F. Line a good quality baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 2 Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 Tablespoon of unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 tsp. ground cardamom (optional)
- 1 round Brie cheese, 6 to 8 oz. and about 4 1/2 inches wide, slightly chilled
- 10-inch round of puff pastry dough, rolled out to 1/4-inch thickness
- 1 egg, beaten with 1 Tbs. water
- Assorted crackers for serving