Old Sweetwater

Old Sweetwater

Thursday, July 30, 2009

Manly Man Knitted Socks


After knitting myself a pair of woolen socks, my dear husband asked me to knit him a pair. Delighted he wanted something handcrafted, I let him pick out yarn - sort of. The man knows nothing about fiber. Go figure.
That night I began the new sock pattern. Unraveled. Began again. Unraveled. Began again. Unraveled - you get my drift. After several days of knitting, they were finished!
He put the woolen beauties on his size 11 1/2 feet that winter day and said three ugly words, "They're too short." "WHAT?" I snapped back, clearly remembering that I took the measurements of his rather generous sized pups.
"Well, the MENS socks I get at Wal-Mart have longer...." he began, as he measured up his calf near his cute, bony knee.
"WAL-Mart? You're comparing these hand-crafted washable wool socks in mouth-watering tweed [well, maybe not mouth-watering but I couldn't think of another description] to Chinese-child-laboring-sweat-shop-machine-crafted white, generic TUBE socks?" I said aghast.
[Not that I don't shop at Wal-Mart, but that's a whole other blog.]
He started, "Men don't wear short socks..."
"Oh, you're saying these socks are not MANLY MAN socks?" I answered with my lower lip quivering.
It was like a man telling his wife that his child she just delivered was not as cute as he'd hoped for!
I grabbed some girly-girl yarn and began knitting and unraveling, knitting and unraveling a new pair of 6 1/2 socks for me.
The next several months my honey didn't wear those socks much - well, ever. They were "drafty," he said. Ugh.
However, one day a spider found his feet irresistible (as I do too) and due to the pain, he could NOT wear any store bought sock --- only those less-than-macho sock I knitted. In fact, he wore the pair every single day for five weeks. [Yes, I washed them every couple of days & dried them overnight. Really!] *rolling my eyes*
So, next time you get something that someone put their love and life's time into, it might be a good idea to hum to yourself, "The itsy-bitsy spider...."

No comments: